Blushing Poached Peaches
Yield: 4 servings
1 large orange
4 firm ripe peaches
2 tablespoons dry red wine, or additional orange juice
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/3 cup 2% or skim milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 mint sprigs, garnish
1.Process small section of orange using No. 1 cone to make 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest.
2.Using vegetable peeler, cut 4 thin strips from remaining orange zest to be used for garnish; squeeze orange to get 3/4 cup juice, set aside.
3. Cut around top of each peach, about 1/3 down: twist top slightly to free pit, remove pit and discard. Set tops aside. Remove very thin slice from bottom of each peach. Stand peaches upright in saucepan.
4. In bowl, combine orange juice, wine, grated orange zest, honey, maple syrup and cinnamon; blend well.
5. Pour half of sauce into hollow of peaches, replace peach tops, pour remaining sauce over top of peaches.
6. Cover; cook over medium heat until Vapo -Valve clicks, reduce heat to low and cook 20-25 minutes until peaches are quite tender.
7. With slotted spoon, carefully drain and remove peaches to individual dessert dishes.
8. Increase heat to medium; cook sauce, uncovered, until reduced by one half, stirring frequently. Spoon sauce over each peach.
9. Cool; refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish tops of peaches with reserved strips of orange zest and mint sprigs.